This course uses a custom course pack entitled "Finance and Business Strategy: FI414 Case Book (Spring 2012)", printed by the McGraw-Hill companies.
Two copies are reserved in the Business Library.
What is included in the pack:
- 13 cases published by Harvard Business School and Darden School of Business (University of Virginia).
- For a list of the cases to be discussed in this semester, see the Schedule section
- A manual written by Bob Bruner on how to value a business in an M&A (merger and acquisition) situation.
The pack is available in both printed and electronic formats.
- Available at
- The cost is expected to about $89
Electronic version (eBook):
- If you are interested in an eBook version, you can purchase an electronic copy from McGraw-Hill directly
- The cost is $57.11
What is an eBook?
- An "eBook" or "electronic book" is a digital version of a book.
- It can be downloaded to a personal computer or Tablet PC (but NOT available on iPad or Amazon Kindle devices at this time).
- A reader software called VitalSource (Windows or Mac) needs to be installed on your computer.
- It allows you to search, highlight, and make notes on the eBook.
- The eBook can also be viewed directly in web browsers without downloading.
- You can print out the eBook for up to 3 times (I was told).
- The digital files are protected with DRM (Digital Rights Management) and can be downloaded to up to 2 computers.
- If you have further questions:
- Contact McGraw-Hill customer service at the toll free number 1-800-962-9342 and select the STUDENT option. Technical support will be able to answer your questions.
My views about the eBook:
- It is significantly cheaper.
- However, most people are more comfortable reading traditional books than staring at computer screens.
- Know what type of reader you are before making a decision.
Other recommended readings:
- Your priority should be reading the case pack.
- Certainly, reviewing any of your previous corporate finance textbooks can be very helpful, if needed.
- You may want to review your previous accounting textbooks as well, if you have problem understanding financial statements (balance sheet, income, and cash flow statements).
- I have a large collection of finance-related Kindle ebooks and I will be glad to loan to you for free if you are interested